Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thankful Thursdays--the Experimental Spinning Edition

This past summer, the Knitigator VERY generously awarded me a great big honking ball of Crown Mountain pencil roving, colorway Autumn. Isn't it gorgeous?

I immediately decided that such a fine autumnal colorway had to become mittens, to make me feel a little better about the end of summer.

I was spinning this at Spinning Group last week when Carole --after guessing the roving's creator correctly--asked me if I was going to leave it as singles. I had been giving the plying issue some thought--the color changes so quickly that Navajo plying would not accomplish much, and I was concerned that if I double-plied it, the resulting yarn would be muddy. Sharon suggested plying it with another yarn, a solid. Carole suggested white, and I thought maybe brown.

But then the next day I remembered I had two skeins of Lamb Pride in Navy Sailor just sitting around my house gathering dust! Lamb's Pride is a worsted-weight singles yarn that I decided would be perfect for plying, and blue is a complement to orange, so I thought it was worth a try.

Only the first skein I made, the blue bled the orange (not, Paul Simon, "the orange bled the blue") and dulled down all the brights. So for the next skein I pre-soaked the navy. Here are the two skeins next to each other:

The first skein is on the left, the second on the right. When I see them next to each other like that, I'm not sure the presoak is worth the bother.

Swatch? I don't need no stinking swatch. I went straight to mitten:


I am very pleased with the yarn, but I have run out of navy blue Lamb's Pride. So I think the next bobbin will be plied with something lighter, like white or tan, to see how that comes out. Or I might try plying it against itself. So many choices, I just don't know what to do next!

So, thankfulness:
1) Thanks, Kathy! for the fabulous roving.
2) Thanks, Carole and Sharon, for helping me decide how to ply it.

And since I am actually writing this on Veteran's Day, for posting on Thursday,
3) Most importantly, thank to all our Veterans, past and present.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I am so glad that you are enjoying it! I thought you'd like that color -- that's a pretty nifty experiment!

Carole Knits said...

You are a smart cookie to use the Lamb's Pride that way. I love the mitten!

Laurie said...

That came out beautifully in the knit! I could not envision that. I thought the bleed was on the right.