Friday, June 05, 2009

An Avian Mystery

The week before before Memorial Day, I looked out my kitchen window and saw a robin's nest. She had picked the worst possible location for her nest--opposite my kitchen window (where every time I used the sink I frightened her) and in an overgrown Carolina Silverbell right next to the door we use.
We tried to remember not to use that door, to use the back slider instead, but often forgot. Every time we opened the door, she would fly off in a great rustle and flurry.She had three eggs. She had no baby daddy and frequently had to leave the nest to eat.Two days ago I realized I hadn't seen her in about 12 hours and went to check the nest. It was empty. No eggs, no babies, no cracked egg pieces on the ground around the nest.
I told my husband I was afraid another bird, or a critter, had stolen our robin's eggs and he hopefully suggested that maybe she had flown them off to a safer, calmer nest.

Is that possible?

8 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I have no idea but I'll vote for optimism! I love the reference to no baby daddy. Cracked me up!

Jackie said...

I don't know, but I sincerely hope so!

claudia said...

I choose to believe....

;-)

Laurie said...

Dunno. Ours at the front door abandoned the nest when the eggs didn't hatch. I think there are some village idiot robins around this year.

indigodi said...

Very similar situation here at IndigoDi's except there was an attentive baby daddy in the flyzone. One day there , 3 eggs, next day gone, no cracked eggs, disturbed nest, no clues. We need a Robin behaviorlist.

Manise said...

Her nest may have been parasitized by cow birds who will remove the hosts egg and replace it with one of hers. The cowbird egg hatches first is greedier, and larger than the baby robins and they starve to death or are smothered by the cow bird baby. Robins typically throw the cowbird egg out of the nest and lay another one to replace the stolen one. I could be that the cowbird kept taking her eggs out and the robin kept throwing he rivals out leaving an exhausted and frustrated robin who then abandoned her nest.

Manise said...

Oh and robins dump their egg shells elsewhere so as not to attract predators to the nest.

Sandy said...

I believe! :D