Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Gift Patrol

I started the holiday knitting in September this year, and there will be far less of it. Much as I enjoyed making most of my holiday gifts last year, I had to start in July and I just didn't have time this summer. Only one family will be receiving knitted gifts this year. One pair of socks is done, the big man socks I was knitting at Rhinebeck:

They are made from Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Cedar, which I love. I love the color like I love patchouli--it just seems so cedar-y and forest-y, you know? (yes, I'm sure those are the technical terms, thank you for asking.) And the yarn itself was one of the most delightful sock-knitting experiences of my life.

When I finished the big man socks, I started on a pair of little boy mittens, from Terri Shea's Selbuvotter : They are made from scrap sock yarn and trust me, the colors aren't quite as vivid as those in the picture. They're still waiting for their thumbs, and I had to start emergency surgery on one of them last night. It seems I got a little careless with the second mitten and did not knit the cuff to match (I know, right? How hard is that?). So instead of doing a really easy thing when I knit the second mitten (e.g. paying attention), I had to do a hard thing last night and cut the old ribbing off the first mitten, pick up 48 teeny-tiny stitches (all while watching Chuck at the same time!) and start knitting a matching cuff back down. You can call me an idiot, I'm cool with that. It's deserved.

8 comments:

Carole Knits said...

You're just showing off your technical skills, is all.

claudia said...

You could fix it. That's all that counts.

Great to hear from you!

Manise said...

Yay you're back! Love the techie skillz and the techie vocab! Nice and successful surgical procedure!

Cheryl said...

I keep forgetting that i have that Selbuvotter book! i love those mittens, I should dig that book up.

Laurie said...

*sigh* I suppose I could have done that rather than get wild with the scissors. I admire your self control.

Beth S. said...

Why can't I go back in time and start my holiday knitting then, too?... You were wicked smaht.

Fields of Heather said...

Glad to see you're back in blogland! I adore that color too-its so earthy.

(Just an FYI, I wore my fingerless mitts to work at the firm last week. Was taunted mercilessly. Those lousy lawyers....They have no respect)

cindy said...

I remember watching you knit those socks while we were watching the red soxs turn around their losses!!! Glad they are done! Love the mittens,too.