Wednesday, March 28, 2007

It's A Trivet, Dammit

I'm all caught up after my ten-day trip to Florida (surprisingly boring, really) and have some finished objects to show you. I didn't take any knitting to Florida--can't stand to knit in the heat--but I finished my Clapotis shortly after we got back.


And this past weekend, I had the pleasure of attending a needle felting class with Julia at Yarns in the Farms in Beverly Farms. One of the shop owners, Jill, is really a genius at needle felting--it's sort of like she's painting with wool (see photos on website). I like to think my novice attempt at needle felting turned out to be a trivet. At least, that's how we're using it around the house. While Julia and I both felt that our felting would have been improved with, shall we say, stronger artistic skills, Julia made a fabulous dragon, so I think her artistic skills are just fine. (Of course, I forgot my camera, so I hope Julia posts a picture of her fab dragon).



And then on Sunday, because I just couldn't stop myself, I cast on with the blue yarn I've spun from the roving I bought at Spa. Have I actually finished spinning up the roving? Um, no, thankyouverymuch. But I have spun up about 800 yards, enough to get started on a sweater. And now I have some motivation to finish spinning the rest up!

The pattern is a bastardization of an old Berrocco pattern:

I deleted the flounce--because if there was a fabric less suited to flouncing than 4.5 st/in bulky merino on size 8 needles, I'd like to see it. So it will be (hopefully) a flounceless (hemmed) fitted V-neck cardigan in the end. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the front edges or closure yet. I'm not sure I want to go with a zipper but I think the fabric might be too heavy and stiff for anything else.

Oh, and that tie in the center of the v-neck? Gone.

13 comments:

maryse said...

i love your trivet!

Carole Knits said...

Welcome back. Nice trivet.

Beth S. said...

Gorgeous Clap! The colors are divine.

And if I had a trivet that pretty, I'd only put my best teapot on it. :-)

Jackie said...

Your trivet is awesome - I love it :) Also, I *love* how your blue yarn is knitting up.

Hope you had a great time on vacation, you got great color!

claudia said...

Let me guess: there was sitting on the beach to be done?

;-)

elisa said...

I totally don't get the trivet references...but then I never claimed to be bright.

Love your clapper, though. :)

Manise said...

Yay you're back! I do like your trivet.

julia fc said...

Last knitter to make a clap, but that's the first one in handspun I do recall. Extra points!
It was great to see you Saturday!

Kathy said...

That's one good looking trivet. Your spinning looks AWESOME!

Cheryl said...

That Clapotis is gorgeous! And look how tan you are!

Fields of Heather said...

Good choice to go flounceless-it will be very pretty without all the extra gobbledygook. I really love the clapotis-it looks light, but warm if that makes sense..

Juno said...

wall insulation. thats the only thing I can think of less suitable for flouncing that bulky merino.

but that's going to be a nice sweater.

FemiKnitMafia said...

Everything looks amazing! For some reason, bloglines isn't updating your subscription for me, so I've missed a couple posts. Argh. I'll keep trying...