Monday, February 05, 2007

The Things I Do For You People

I managed to get a couple of pictures of the Nantucket Sweater this morning before frostbite set in:



If I look unhappy, it's because I'm really freaking cold. Not joking about the frostbite...

I don't know how I feel about it. It's very green, and I don't think the green is as flattering as I'd hoped it would be. It's also a little large and perhaps not as flattering as it could be for that reason as well. AND I really could use a short-row bust, but I've never done one and didn't think this was the sweater to learn on. Lastly (and unsurprisingly to anyone who, unlike me, had given it a second's thought), seaming this puppy was a bear, so the seams aren't quite as smooth as I'd like. I mean, not to whine, I like it fine and will wear it, but it's not quite Rogue (the perfect sweater, in case you've forgotten).

I've made some progress on Arisaig's back:

the yarn is actually more of a brick color than that cloying cherry color

I've made several modifications so far on this pattern. Let's face it, I have a 40 year old figure. I'm sort of okay with that (I'd be lying if I told you I didn't miss my old figure, and I'd be lying if I told you I didn't regret not having worn some of the dresses I could have worn when I had that figure). But Arisaig as written is considerably clingier than my almost mid-40 chubs can handle. I need something that skims the abdomen, instead of glomming onto it.

Ordinarily, I would have knit the 40" bust size. But because I wanted the ribbing to be, shall we say, more generous, I went up a size to the 44". Then I changed the ribbing from k2p2 to a less-clingy k3p1. I did complete the waist shaping as written, which reduced my stitch count to where it would have been post-bust increases on the 40" size (did that sentence make sense?). So when I started the lace bust section, I already had the correct number of stitches and eliminated the bust increases.

The pattern says you should knit the ribbing on smaller needles and go up a needle size or two for the lace. Again, since I wanted the ribbing on the larger side, I knit it with the larger (size 4) needles. At first I thought I would knit the lace on the 4s as well, but when I tried it I had this humongous thing with gigantic lace holes in it. We all know of the magical stretching abilities of lace, so I decreased my needle size to 2.5s*. On these needles, the lace motif is daintier and more attractive (instead of, frankly, slutty) and the bust measures out at about 41". Which is still a smidge too big, but I'm hoping I can fudge that with the wrap.

So we'll see. I'm just hoping I don't end up ripping the whole damn thing up when it's done. When I modify patterns to this extreme, it never seems to work as well in reality as it does on paper.

*No, I don't have magic Harry Potter size 2.5 needles. They're Inox 3s, which are smaller than anyone else's threes and actually are just a smidge larger than other manufacturers' 2s.

10 comments:

Margene said...

It looks great...really it does! Love the gloves, too.

Carole Knits said...

I love the green sweater.

Cheryl said...

I think it really looks great on you! Thanks for braving the bitter cold to show us some pictures.

claudia said...

I think that is a flattering shape for you. Nice work finishing it up.

Laurie said...

We are always more critical of ourselves than how others see us. From the frrreeezing shot, I think it looks good.

Kathy said...

You did a fantastic job! I think that it's lovely. And I do like the green.

Cassie said...

I think the green is lovely, the near-frostbite is pretty obvious from the look on your face, and that you did a fantastic job on a gorgeous sweater. Pat yourself on the back (and next time take an indoor picture!).

blogless sharon said...

I saw the green sweater in person and I loved the detail. very cool

Jackie said...

I think the green is a great color for you - and the mittens are very cool too - did you knit those?

Diane E. said...

Love your Nantucket sweater. The sweater and it's color are great on you!