Friday, February 23, 2007

Be the Blue

Some of you may notice something odd about this entry: there's a lot of blue in it. I'm as surprised as you are, believe me.

It all started at Spa, when I duked it out with Jackie over one of Amy Boogie's project bags. I shocked myself by actually being interested (some might say more than interested) in a bag of blue roving. It didn't hurt that this particular shade of roving reminded me of the sky in Puerto Rico (see picture in previous entry, if you have any doubt).

The minute I finished spinning up the Grafton Fibers batts I bought last year at Spa (finally!!!), I started on this bag and by the time I left on Sunday, I'd spun up two bumps.
(not spun well, as you can see, but that's another story).

Now, I'm a long-time blue hater. Years ago, I had a roommate in my house who asked me to paint her room THREE different shades of blue, and I have long been proud of the fact that I was a good enough friend to actually do it (it was hideous, can I tell you? Hideous.)

But this particular shade of blue spoke to me, and I've decided to embrace the blue. Be the blue. Feel the blue. New year, new color.

I also realized that spinning has been on the back burner in favor of knitting for WAY too long. I just wish I had realized this sooner. I am devoted to spinning this bag of fiber, to the detriment of the other, oh, two heaping bags of fiber in my house.

It was one big therapeutic weekend, from spinning all day to chatting with my bunkies Carole and Blogless Sharon, and waiting an hour and a half for lunch with Marcy, Laurie and Blogless Manise, and drinking way too many margaritas with our dinner party of fifteen. Nothing beats a weekend with your fiber friends!

Then, when I got home, I had a burning need to know how my Grafton Fibers stripey yarn would knit up, so I started a Clapotis. Yes, I am the last knitter on earth...


The yarn's a little too heavy and tightly spun to be ideal for this project, but I love how the stripes have played out. All in all, striping the two similar batts was a very successful experiment and one I'd gladly do again. I even like the colors now.

Does anyone know whether your sense of color changes as you get older? 'Cause this blue thing is freaking me out a little.

18 comments:

kate said...

The grafton batt is knitting up beautifully!
Don't you love how spa renews the fun in spinning!!

blogless sharon said...

That is definitely the sky of Puerto Rico. You are going to love it

Cheryl said...

I like the way that Grafton stuff is knitting up, you're right the stripes are very cool. Good choice with the Clapotis!

Carole Knits said...

You've been hanging around with Laurie and Terry for too long, that's all.

mamacate said...

That clap yarn is stunning.

Also, you win the prize for the blog post that made me saddest about missing SPA. I hope someone drank some Margarita on my behalf. If not, I guess I'll have to make up for it next year.

Diane E. said...

Nice to spend time with you over the weekend...Great choice for the clapotis, from a blue lover of course.

melanie said...

You are not the last knitter to knit clapotis, I have not done it yet. :)

I think your sense of color does change. A couple of years ago I began to like pink, inexplicably, after hating it my entire life.

Weird.

elisa said...

I think our color preferences change as we age - I wear far less black than I used to (which I think is partially due to getting older and partially due to not wanting to knit with black yarn).

And like I said at SPA - that blue is going to be a lovely color on you. :)

PS: I haven't knit Clapotis yet, either.

Kellee said...

See? Not the last knitter on earth. We are in good company, I see....us not-yet-knitters of the clap.

As for colors, I think they're kind of like food preferences....you just have to keep giving them a shot, for instance, I now love both broccoli AND orange fiber/yarn.

Norma said...

I haven't done clapotis either. So you're WAYYYY not the last. :)

I am an equal-opportunity color lover. I like almost all colors -- not necessarily on me, but in general, love all colors. So I can't tell whether one's color sense changes with time, but it seems like a reasonable thing. :)

woolybuns said...

Seems like there are enough of us who have not knit clapotis to form a club. Or a knit along. Hee That blue is gorgeous! How the heck did I manage not to make it into Spunky Eclectic's booth?? Must have been the distraction of Indigo Moon.

Laurie said...

One of the chorus: no Clapotis knit to date in the Etherknitter household.

What Carole said. It IS contagious, and there is no known cure.

Kathy said...

I haven't yet (but want to) knit a Clapotis. Love the blue!

claudia said...

Could blue be taking over the world?

Fields of Heather said...

I think I may be the last knitter on earth to do the clapotis...

But I love the blue!!!

Jackie said...

I know you have a shaky relationship with blue, but I really think the colors in that Grafton batt will look amazing on you.

Monica said...

Very nice striping, works well with Clapotis.

knitmore3 said...

Ok. I just started my first clapotis today. You are not the last person. I am!!! lol