Monday, January 22, 2007

Progress and Setback, all in one post

I'm a spotty sweater blocker. To paraphrase the immortal Adam Ant, I don't block, I don't swatch, what do I do? Well, I knit a lot of sweaters that are way too big for me. Luckily, I always seem to err on the large side, which is infinitely preferable to erring on the small side. But swimming in one's sweaters isn't optimal, either.

I am blocking the Nantucket Sweater parts, though. Partly because they really have to be blocked--the seed stitch panels that form the peplum pull up in a way I'd rather they didn't--and partly because I would like it to fit right. So I pinned and I measured. Now watch this be the sweater that's too small (if it is, I can block it much harder).

Then I immediately cast on for Arisaig, because I needed something to knit during the Pats game. And then, after the game, I ripped out everything I had knit--on size 4 needles at a gauge of 7.5 stitches per inch--while expressing my hatred for Peyton Manning (seriously, could he do any more commercials?) I am a big believer in the cathartic nature of destruction. (Ask me about the sofa I sawed up sometime!)

But I didn't just rip to vent. The rib section I had started with was clearly going to be snugger than I wanted it to be. Oh, right, had I swatched, I'd have known. Damn. Well, it was sort of a swatch, a 142 stitch, 18"x2" swatch. Yeah, that's right.

Tonight, Nantucket seaming starts, then the crocheted border. I don't think I'll be on track to finish by the end of this week, but it might be close.

4 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I love that shade of green.

elisa said...

I have only one thing to say...

Go Bears.

Cheryl said...

That Nantucket sweater looks like it's going to be awesome!

Laurie said...

Sometimes it was cathartic to just have something to knit.