Tuesday, January 30, 2007

One Solution to Winter Malaise

I woke up early Sunday morning determined to go to Puerto Rico.

Before I even read the paper, I researched flights to San Juan.

You see, my friend Sh. is currently living in Puerto Rico. And with every vacation my boss schedules, my heart grows more and more bitter and resentful, because if he's away, I have to be in the office. I realize that winter needs to be his time to take vacation, but it needs to be my time to take vacation too, and I feel slightly taken advantage of, sitting there keeping his company going while he's out gallivanting the globe. So I decided Sunday morning that instead of being bitter, I should just schedule a trip already. And then I decided that when fate hands you a free place to stay in Puerto Rico, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and you would be a fool to let it slip by.

So I emailed Sh. to see whether she was up for a houseguest (she was). And I ran it by the hubby, who was hesitant but ultimately okay with my visit (he worries). And today I ran it by the boss, who--to give credit where credit is due--immediately said that next week would be fine, even though he had been talking about going to Florida. (Oh, and when he mentioned going to Florida, I asked him when he was planning on working. I'll be apologizing tomorrow).

But, long story short: I leave for Puerto Rico next Thursday. SQUEEEEE!

8 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Lucky you! You'll be back for SPA, though, right?

Kathy said...

That is awesome! Great idea and, even better, terrific execution. Cerveza anyone?!?

Maggie said...

There's nothing better than that feeling when you decide to go on vacation and it all works out. Have a wonderful time and hope to see you when you return....all tanned. :)

Laurie said...

Fabulous! What a lovely time to escape the cold and gloom.

claudia said...

Dude, you need a new camera for all those PICTURES you are about to take.

mamacate said...

Wahoo, that's GREAT. Socks on the beach, baby!

I was up till 2 am last night searching for vacation deals. Can I just tell you that kids are expensive?! Sigh. Anyway, let me know if you find someplace fabulous you want to tell us about...

melanie said...

Well done! Spontaneous and swift. I'm very impressed - if a little envious.

cheryl said...

That's so cool! Have fun!