Thursday, January 25, 2007

Lower Your Cholesterol with Diet and Exercise!

So, I've lost 9 pounds since Jan 1.

The ball got rolling from stress-related lack of eating early in the month. That managed to take 7 pounds off in one week. But then the stress got better and I figured I might as well take advantage of the strong start.

To keep from gaining weight back, I took out my old, broken-down running shoes. It had been so long since I'd used them, the mice had commandeered them to store birdseed and nest fluff. (Seriously, there was a big pile of birdseed and some fluff jammed into a toe.) One thing you learn when you work in landscaping is be very careful with mouse nests. So I went out and bought new sneakers and the dog and I hit the trails.

Jogging and I have a long, troubled relationship. I've always enjoyed it, but after I'd jog a mile in college, I'd cough for an hour. Which my mom would try to cure by giving me her version of a hot toddy--hot tea with whiskey in it. It's gross, try it! It never occurred to anyone that I could have asthma--even my doctor told my mom that I was the only child he'd ever seen in his career who kept getting whooping cough. "You're supposed to be immune after you get it once, but she keeps getting it. I just don't understand," he said. Oh, and of course, there was nothing he could give me--although apparently modern medicine prescribes antibiotics for whooping cough (according to articles in the Globe that I can't link to). Not that antibiotics would have helped asthma, but it would have been nice if he'd had even a vague clue.

Anyway, every few years I'd take a stab at jogging and stop shortly after, because it's just no fun when you can't breathe and your muscles aren't getting any oxygen. But last year, Kellee suggested that if you take your asthma medicine regularly, it makes jogging a lot more feasible, and she's right! Not that I can even measure my jogging in miles yet (combined with walking breaks, I can--the total run/walk is about 1.5 miles). I'm actually enjoying it and the dog is in heaven. And the sleep! At the beginning of the month, even Ambien couldn't help me sleep, but now I'm out cold by 10 p.m., every night, and I almost sleep through the night--just wake up once at 2 am for a few minutes (every single night). For me, that's about the best sleep I can ask for.

I've been jogging about 4 times a week for the past three weeks. I do notice some improvement in how far I can jog before needing to walk for a bit, so my legs must be getting stronger. Maybe this time I'll stick with it. At least until I buy new pedals and shoes for my bike...but that's another story.

6 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Good for you! I haven't lost much weight yet but I'm walking.

maryse said...

woo-hoo you!

michelle said...

It's amazing what a good nights sleep will do for you - keep up the good work.

Laurie said...

There's an inhaler you can use for prophylaxis of exercise-induced asthma...Cromolyn? It's a different drug class from Albuterol. Not sure where it is in the algorithm these days.

claudia said...

This is such great news...I mean, about the exercise and the great sleep. YEAH!

Kathy said...

Good for you! That's awesome --