Tuesday, December 26, 2006

My First Yarncake


Since the 80's, I've been winding balls of yarn by flipping over a chair (so its legs are in the air), throwing the skein over the chair legs, and winding a center-pull ball around my thumb. Lately, I've gotten lazy and placed the skein around my knees, but that invariably ends in tangles that take a half-hour to straighten out.

But today, those days are over, because thanks to my hubby, I now have a swift and a ball winder.

Long live the yarncake! Hurrah!

12 comments:

Kathy said...

That is excellent news! My husband bought me the same for mother's day -- welcome to cakedom!

Margene said...

Now that is a fabulous gift!

Carole said...

Hooray! It will save you so much time.

Laurie said...

Congratulations! It is SUCH a timesaver.

Kat said...

Yarn cakes are awesome. And so easy to 'bake'.

maryse said...

excellent!

Cheryl said...

What a great gift! I love those stackable little yarn cakes! I have a good ball winder, but still no swift. I'm still doing the around the knees thing!

JessaLu said...

What a most excellent gift! :o)

Jackie said...

Yay! Your knitting life will be forever changed. Seriously. Partly because it is way easier to start a new project now, and that can be dangerous. ;)

Marcy said...

Excellent! All knitters should be so equipped. Think of all the knitting time you'll gain. :D

Beth S. said...

It's a new era! :-)

Beware, though--I went a little nuts on the yarncake-making when I got my swift and winder, and later found that I could not store as much yarn in my favorite hiding spots once I wound those skeins into cakes. They look more compact, but they're taller, you see. And wider. Word to the wise!

cheekiemary said...

I believe a more proper phrase would be "long live the hubby" - way to go DH!