Saturday, December 23, 2006

Happy Holidays to all!


Mangy Decrepit (but beloved) 1950's Santa says Merry Christmas!

When I was a kid, he could walk and shake his bell, but now he just kind of lurches from side to side like a drunk, so I don't ask him to walk anymore. As I recall, I used a bit of White-Out on his eyebrows and 'stache a couple of years ago, which is why they look so bright. It's just not Christmas without Mangy Decrepit Santa.

(I do realize that he should probably be thrown out and would likely frighten children if we had any, but he was my favorite decoration growing up and I'm quite attached to him. And a civilized nation doesn't toss their elderly just because they can't walk and shake a bell anymore).



As you can see, Santa's gotten a bit of a head start at our house. As I understand it, he likes to knock the adults off a bit early so he can concentrate on the children Christmas Eve.

Our tree came from the woods this year, and it's my favorite ever. I don't mean a tree farm, I mean the woods. The company I work for had some tree harvesting to do for a client, so they chopped down some Christmass-y trees. Luckily the boss had a spare that I could take home. I like the fact that it looks like a real tree, not a perfect pyramidal "Christmas" tree. It even came pre-decorated with little pinecones. Now I am spoiled and want my tree to come from the woods every year.












The amaryllis and Star of Bethlehem are in bloom, and beside the Santa, the tree, and one creche, they are our sole indoor decorations. Oh, plus one fake poinsettia that I bought at Michael's. (You can't tell unless you look closely, and the real ones are poisonous to pets, so I figured fake could be excused). All the gifts are wrapped (well, mine at least; hubby's still shopping). I even finished the mittens in time (but forgot to photograph them, and they've already been gifted).

Whatever holiday you celebrate, I hope you are enjoying the holiday season and having a wonderful time with those you love!

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Love Mr. Mangy Santa. Traditions are good.

Happy holidays to you, too!

Carole said...

Your tree is perfect. And so is Santa. Merry Christmas!

Julie said...

OMG my grandma had a santa exactly like that and when he shook his bell the dog barked and barked and barked. Merry Christmas!

claudia said...

Have a lovely holiday!

Stacey said...

Just think, if you keep Santa, (and with a little help from e-bay) he could be your retirement fund in a few years

melanie said...

Merry Christmas to you too! I love the creepy santa and the REAL tree!

maryse said...

you know that creepy santa looks familier. i wonder if there wasn't one lurking in our house when i was a child.

juno said...

Oh, I love your tree. One of my neighbors has a natural tree every year - she searches until she finds the shape that speaks to her and they are always fabulous and crazy and organic and wonderful.

Merry, merry Christmas to you.