Friday, December 08, 2006

Fly Like An Eagle...

Sorry if you all have a Steve Miller earworm for the rest of the day. I know I do!

Norma mentioned the Soaring Eagles project a few days ago, and I knit this hat for them:

If you have some acrylic, cotton or superwash hanging around your house and enough time to whip up a hat or headband, please think of them. Rachel needs about 150 more hats by Dec. 18th in order to be able to give every student at her school one. It won't work unless every student gets a hat, so please help her out if you can! I'm working on a second hat now, a pink cotton one from a pattern on the Soaring Eagles Project website. I know a lot of you might be charity-knitted-out, but if there's anyone left out there with an ounce of energy, Rachel could really use the help.

Additionally, there's been some spinning. I finished two bobbins of the blue/green Grafton Fibers batts I bought at Spa last year and later decided I hated. Not the batts (l*o*v*e Grafton Fibers batts), but the colors. I had toyed with the idea of giving the completed yarn away. Others had suggested that life was too short to spin colors you dislike and thought I should sell the unspun batts. But ultimately I thought I would donate the yarn to Claudia's MS ride.

Except then I plied it up, and realized that yarn this crappy cannot be given in exchange for money, not even a donation to a good cause. It's my first attempt at Navajo plying, but that's not the only problem. The singles were underspun and fell apart on me while plying--so there are all these lumps and loops where I tried to patch the plies together. And the plying is too tight, resulting in a ridiculously kinky yarn. A lumpy, loopy, kinky, craptacular yarn.

And to make matters worse, I may have decided I like it. I'm really on the fence about this. I think it's pretty, I'm just not sure I want an entire sweater of it. Now that it's plied up, I can see how the muted batt mellowed out the bright batt, so the bright batt yarn looks jewel-like instead of screaming 80's neon. When I bought the batts, I said to myself, gee, I haven't had a teal sweater since 1985. But this experience has taught me that the reason I haven't had a teal sweater is because I don't like teal. So we'll see. I may still give the yarn away (with a major disclaimer), if anyone is willing to deal with deeply wretched yarn. However, I'm not sure I can even give this yarn away with a clear conscience, partly because I'm not sure words can convey how very bad it is, and the camera lies.

In happier spinning news, I couldn't resist spinning up a bobbin of the new fleece.I'm afraid this might be underspun, too, since I used barely any twist. It spins up crazy quickly--this bobbin took at most 2 hours--and is a fun spin. Let's all hope it sticks together when I go to ply!

7 comments:

Margene said...

It's so hard to get the yarn we envision. The lesson is to take what comes and keep trying;-)

Carole said...

I knit two hats for Soaring Eagle. And I think the yarn is looking good, although I'm not a big fan of teal either.

Laurie said...

Do more sampling early on in the skein, just let it ply back on itself, and give a tug to see if it holds together. Then you can alter the amt of twist in it before it's a full bobbin and you find it isn't enough.

I take your word for the craptacular yarn, but it doesn't look bad to the camera. Your colorway is what I just finished in my latest sock FO.

claudia said...

Its OK to throw bad handspun away. I've totally done that....called it a learning skein and moved on.

Cheryl said...

That single from your fleece is looking great! How does it look as a two-ply when you let it double back on itself? Like it has enough twist? that's the test that I normally use.

JessaLu said...

It only took you two hours to fill a bobbin? I might have to hate you. Or dislike you greatly ;o) (just kidding!)

I have a couple skeins of craptastic stuff that I kept just to remind myself of the mistakes I made (and make)...

blogless sharon said...

2 hours and it looks that good. I have envy