Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Don't Hate Me 'Cause I'm Done

I'm done! Done, do you hear me? Done! Donedonedonedonedone! Does my yippee of joy ring throughout the land?

I've finished knitting/sewing my holiday gifts. I still have gifts for the hubby to buy, so I'm not ALL done, but at least the crafty stuff is done. When you're done cursing, please keep in mind that I started in JULY. And I left the worst (shopping) for last (two weeks before Christmas).

After Beary was sewn up, stuffed and dressed, I needed to knit three more hats and sew one. For my boss and his son, I knit two matching circular brioche hats out of homespun:
brioche hats
If you have wanted to knit a brioche hat, but hate seaming, I recommend this pattern. It was easy and I think the hats came out well. I did have to tink with it on one of the hats, but that was because I changed the sizing.

Then, remember the pink Odessa hat I made for the boss's wife, my friend S? I made a matching one for their daughter. Only on that hat, I used gold beads 'cause little girls love their bling.
gold odessa
And then lastly (because the sewing machine could only come out after all the easy stuff was done), I sewed a dino hat for my friends' little dino-obsessed son. It'll be too big for him, but he might be able to stretch it over his ski helmet now and grow into it later.
dino hat
The truly sad thing about this insanely easy pattern (pretty sure it's Buttericks but can't find it on their website) is that it took me two tries to get it right. However, it's not entirely my fault. It is my fault that I plunged the seam-ripper through the fleece so many times it looked like lace. But it's their fault the diagram told me to sew the hat together backwards. So just in case any of you bought this pattern, just be aware: don't follow the diagram.

(And if anyone is interested in sewing a woman's hat, Buttericks has some sharp-looking hat patterns. They have some goofy ones, too.)

10 comments:

Carole said...

Good for you! I'm done, too. But that's because I don't knit for Christmas. ;-)

maryse said...

same here, i don't knit christmas gifts. but i do have some shopping still to do. but it'll be easy peasy, for x-mas i go with gift cards. i know, pathetic but it's really waht the kids want.

margene said...

The hats all look fun! How wonderful to be finished and now you can knit what you like. Pick something special for yourself!

Beth S. said...

You rock. :-) I'm kicking myself for starting these damned gloves. What was I thinking?

claudia said...

Now *that's* the way to do holiday gift-crafting.

Fields of Heather said...

Oh, you are too good! I have to make a few tutus for my nieces and adorn them and I'm done too, but I've been putting it off...

Ruth said...

What great hats! I'm printing out the brioche pattern.

Kathy said...

I am insanely jealous. And it all looks beautiful.

Cassie said...

I wouldn't describe it as hate, I'd say its more like ... burning resentment.

Jackie said...

I'm really happy for you! You know why I'm able to feel such pure good things for you? Because I have completely opted out of holiday knitting this year. And it feels.so.good.