Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Walk With Me Wednesday

On Saturday, Kathy and I met at the Blue Hills Reservation to divvy up our fleece (now roving) and get some post-Thanksgiving exercise. Since I am still coughing a bit, we tried to find a more level walk, but failed and ended up climbing a paved road all the way to the top. Here's the view from the Blue Hills weather observatory:
and here's the observatory itself:

I have to admit, I was sucking wind by the time we got up there, but Kathy was nice and didn't drop me. In fact, she was even willing to pose with my dog.
We took a rocky, muddy path back down that wasn't as easy to walk, but had some nice architectural bits along it to make up for it.
(sorry for all the trees).
I wish I had taken a picture of the lovely Trailside Museum but I didn't think. The sad thing about the Reservation is that several of the historic structures within it have been allowed during the recent budget crunch to fall into disrepair. You'll be walking along a trail, stumble across an old building and notice all the windows are boarded up and what's left of the paint is peeling in sheets.

Oh, what's that? You wanted to see the roving? I neglected to take pictures this morning before I left for work, but lucky for me, Kathy's on the ball and has some in her Walk With Me Wednesday post. We dropped a 7 lb fleece off at Friends Folly Farm, and they returned to us 5 lbs of roving, already thoughtfully split into two 2.5 lb bags. It's a gorgeous silvery-grey that should spin up pretty easily.

If you haven't read Kathy's post yet, she suggests that if we always ended exercise with fiber, maybe we'd exercise more. This is an idea we can work with, people! After all, any good exercise program has a reward mechanism built in...

6 comments:

claudia said...

I've never really thought of mixing fiber and hiking, but it sounds like a great time!

maryse said...

hmmm maybe if i work out a certain number of times a week, i'm allowed to buy yarn .....

Carole said...

Sounds like you guys had a really nice day.

Elisa said...

Okay, it sounds awesome! But! It also sounds like you guys were doing a deal where no one would spot you. ;) You know, in case rabid fiber hoarders saw fleece and went a little crazy.

judy said...

fiber and walking, perfect! I think I should walk there one of these days, looks beautiful.

cheryl said...

You got your fleece back! How is it, did you spin a sample of it yet?