I knit one of Grumperina's Odessa hats last weekend as a Christmas gift for my friend S.
The yarn is a three-ply fingering weight homespun, from the Friends Folly Farm Cranberry Relish roving (whew, say that five times fast!) I bought at Spa last February. When I saw how pink it spun up, I thought of S -- it's her favorite color -- and decided to make something from it for her.
The pattern calls for DK weight yarn, but I made a swatch and did the math. The stitch pattern takes 11 stitches, so instead of casting on 110, I cast on 132 and changed the ribbing to k2, p2. With this change the swirls do not swoop up from the ribbing as organically as they do the way the pattern is written, but my yarn isn't very springy and I wanted to make sure the hat would be large enough. I used somewhere in the ballpark of 140 yards and about 160 beads.
The beads are also from stash. I bought them a couple of years ago at Michael's after I read Bead Crochet. I crocheted this bracelet from them (well, half them, half gold) at the time.
I got really excited about bead crochet and beading in general, until I did more of it. Turns out I have neither the patience, the eyesight nor the hand-eye coordination for the work. Unfortunately, I had already bought about a billion beads, thinking this would be my Great New Hobby. So I was glad to reduce the bead stash with this hat, too.
I plan to make a matching Odessa, only with gold beads, for S's little daughter. Maybe I'll even make one for myself.
Then I'll only have a million and three-quarters beads left. Maybe I should give bead crochet another try...