Friday, November 03, 2006

More stash reduction!

I knit one of Grumperina's Odessa hats last weekend as a Christmas gift for my friend S.

The yarn is a three-ply fingering weight homespun, from the Friends Folly Farm Cranberry Relish roving (whew, say that five times fast!) I bought at Spa last February. When I saw how pink it spun up, I thought of S -- it's her favorite color -- and decided to make something from it for her.

The pattern calls for DK weight yarn, but I made a swatch and did the math. The stitch pattern takes 11 stitches, so instead of casting on 110, I cast on 132 and changed the ribbing to k2, p2. With this change the swirls do not swoop up from the ribbing as organically as they do the way the pattern is written, but my yarn isn't very springy and I wanted to make sure the hat would be large enough. I used somewhere in the ballpark of 140 yards and about 160 beads.

The beads are also from stash. I bought them a couple of years ago at Michael's after I read Bead Crochet. I crocheted this bracelet from them (well, half them, half gold) at the time.


I got really excited about bead crochet and beading in general, until I did more of it. Turns out I have neither the patience, the eyesight nor the hand-eye coordination for the work. Unfortunately, I had already bought about a billion beads, thinking this would be my Great New Hobby. So I was glad to reduce the bead stash with this hat, too.

I plan to make a matching Odessa, only with gold beads, for S's little daughter. Maybe I'll even make one for myself.

Then I'll only have a million and three-quarters beads left. Maybe I should give bead crochet another try...

9 comments:

Kat said...

Very nice, I love the beads, but am afraid of them. I've seen a few Odessa's pop up recently. I do need a new winter hat....

maryse said...

i don't have the patience for the beads either. i've tried ever since i was a kid. i had one of those bead looms too once.

anyway the hat and the bracelet look great.

textilejunkie said...

The hat came out so nice, beautiful yarn.

Carole said...

The hat looks really nice and good for you for reducing the bead and yarn stash!

Laurie said...

Odessa looks good. What size are the beads? 6/0?

JessaLu said...

It looks great - beautiful beads!

Lucia said...

Now I want to learn bead crochet... I too have a few zillion beads.

Fields of Heather said...

That's a beautiful hat- I always seem to accumulate beads and not sure why. This year I turned them into a bunch of place markers. Still have gadzillions though...

mf said...

Very nice hat!