Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Things To Which I Am Hopelessly Addicted

1) Project Runway. I've never watched it before, and now I can't stop. My friend T. was raving and raving about it a few weeks ago, so I gave it a try. It's been inspiring me to sew stuff I never would have thought to sew before. They're down to a very talented group at this point.

2) Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter. Don't worry, it's not time for an intervention or anything. But nectar of the gods, people. Nectar of the gods. And yes, I am aware that I shoud pursue other methods of post-work stress-relief, like yoga or boxing, but drinking a porter's working pretty well for me right now. Oddly enough, it makes the acid reflux go away.

3) "Message to my Girl" by Split Enz (caution: video and music start instantly). The song is about 20 years old, I know, but I haven't heard it in eons. And I missed it. I don't know what it is about that song that gives me chills, but it just sounds so heartfelt. Look how young Neil Finn looks! Such a boy. Looks a lot like a boy I dated, oh, 20 years ago.

4) L'Oreal ReFinish Microdermabrasion Kit. At first I was sceptical, but now a month into the experiment, the huge patch of freckles on my cheek (like a gigantic age-spot, people) is less than half the size it used to be. It's a winner.

5) Sewing blouses. I finally finished the garnet red blouse! Here's a photo, taken by the hubby in bad kitchen light:
It's not perfect by any stretch, but it fits and is comfortable. And it's presentable; it's not too visibly messed-up. Inside is a little "Martita Rampage" label (sorry for the crappy, out-of-focus shot)


6) Not knitting Hyrna. Seriously. I don't even like looking at Hyrna. She is riddled with errors, due to my refusal to read the &^*% pattern. I just blithely knit along, watching TV, reading a book, not paying the slightest attention to the pattern, only to realize much, much later that the pattern changed and I didn't. As long as the stitch count works, I figure I'm okay--but I'm not. One of the errors I can live with (a centered diamond where the shawl's spine should start) but the other troubles me to the point that I am considering ripping back several inches. Me, the one who never rips! That's how bad it is. Here's the error:
hyrna error close
See where, on the left the ends of the double YOs end in little pointed arrows? And see where, on the right, they don't? Or maybe you can't see it, because Blogger has ceased to download photos and I had to use Flickr (bye-bye, Blogger). Anyway, imagine Hyrna all blocked out, with all of its double YOs ending in arrows--except for that patch. Yup, I'm ripping.

Sorry for the spotty blogging. Our bookkeeper at work quit last week to travel Central America, so I've spent the past couple of weeks learning how to do payroll and taxes and all the other stuff she did. It's good to learn this stuff, and I'm glad for the challenge; I just had to absorb a lot in a short period of time. I'm starting to get a system going and the chaos is quieting down around here, so I should have a little more blogging time now. I hope.

4 comments:

maryse said...

i was never into split enz or later crowded house (they came later right?) until a friend introduced me to them about 8 years ago. i don't know how i missed them the first time around. the blouse looks great. and the microdermabrasion thing -- i might have to give it a try. i'm feeling like i'm looking old these days.

Carole said...

Your hair has gotten so long! And Otter Creek Stovepipe Porter is one of Dale's favorite beers. No surprise there, I'm sure.

Laurie said...

The blouse looks great. Good color, and I do like the shine.

Love porters. Will have to look that one up. Have Dogfish Head Chicory Stout in my hand right now.

Marcy, Not Blogless said...

Mmmm. Porter. Mmmm. Stout. Have you tried Berkshire Brewing Company's Drayman's Porter or Coffeehouse Porter? Mmmm mmm mmmm mmmm mmmmm.