Saturday, August 05, 2006

A selvage stitch does not guarantee a neat seam

Especially when the selvage stitch is really, really small, and the sewer is sloppy:

And I know you're all like, why didn't you rip it out and do it again? I told you I'm a slatternly knitter! (I like to think of myself as the anti-Grumperina). Also, the only thing worse than a mis-aligned seam is a played-out selvage stitch. This seam really, really needs to hold together, so I didn't want to stretch out my selvage stitches. But mostly, I'm just lazy. And it's a sock.

I have to admit, when I saw Julia's pirate arrghyles, I regretted my decision not to make them. My socks just seemed, well, less after I saw hers. But now I love them. The pattern has been a joy to knit (even the occasional frogging, which as Julia notes, is not fun) and I like my bright colors. And all those half-balls of sock yarn left-over from previous pairs? Crazy argyles-in-waiting.

Here's the side:


and the front:


I understand from the myriad argyle patterns out there that you can join your round pretty much anywhere on the foot you want. You can carry your argyles all the way down to the toe cap, if you like, and join into a round there--you just have to sew longer side seams. I also have a pattern that knits the entire sock, top to toe, flat, with one seam from the foot up the back of the leg. I decided to knit this pair as Julia's knitting hers, as I'm not wild about long sock seams.

But I think on a future pair I might experiment with carrying the diamonds down the instep to the toe cap. I just haven't decided where to put my seams yet.

13 comments:

Norma said...

Even if they have minor imperfections, I love your argyles. I am determined to do some for my husband this fall. Somewhere I have a Patons booklet that has some argyle socks, and I have to locate it. Great job!

mamacate said...

See, I'm the other anti-grumperina, I'm so with you there. Thing is, I figure I'm just not cut out for argyles. I love yours, though. Fab.

Kat said...

As much as I admire her, I'm an anti-Grumperina too. Love the socks. I'm gonna go stash shopping tonight so I can get mine going.

Laurie said...

Leave the damn seam. It's a sock. And it looks great. Beautiful colors.

maryse said...

i think it looks beautiful. and the front is perfection -- fuck the seam.

julia fc said...

Awesome! I love them! Seam? So What? The joy is in the forward motion. Knit on!

JessaLu said...

Hell, just show everyone the front when you're showing them off - the knitters will understand and not question and the non-knitters will be blown away no matter what it looks like ;o)

Oh, and I barely ever rip, too...can ya tell?

Dave Daniels said...

Hey, shhh, a little tip. [Looking over should to make sure no one is listeneing.] That spot on the back where they don't quite match? Grab a Sharpie marker and make a black stitch to connect. NO ONE will ever notice. (Yeah, this tip comes from a guy who once hemmed his pants with a desk stapler.)

cindy said...

That little sock is gonna be covered with denim most of the time...who will know...beside it doesn't affect why we wear socks does it!

Cheryl said...

I love Dave's tip! Ha! Asd I think it looks great, you are so right, it's a sock!

Jscothammerquist said...

Anybody rocking NINA SIMONE can't be all bad.
Great colors.I can't wait to start mine.

Juno said...

Or if you don't want to sharpie your sock, take a little of the diagnal yarn and duplicate stitch a fake there.

What could happen?

Kellee said...

What Dave said.

Sharpies aren't just for knitterati autographs anymore.