Monday, August 07, 2006

It used to look good to me, but now I find it...


fantastic.

I got bored and added some stripes, and now I love them even more. One down, one to go! (No, I do not have freakishly long toes, I took the picture from above and flipped it and now the perspective is out of whack.) I'd like to figure out how to knit an orange star in the toe cap for future socks.

And there's been progress on the sewn tote bag:


This was a good pattern for me, just a little past my comfort zone but still easy enough. Pretty much every single stitched line is crooked, but you can't tell unless you're looking at it very, very closely and critically. The only crooked thing that jumps out at you is the toile pocket--which, even though the fabric blends, somehow the crookedness does not (It's not as crooked as it looks in this picture; the whole bag is hanging askew). But that one stupid pocket took me two tries. I still have another pocket to put on and the top to hem, and then it's done.

Here's the inside, so you can see the awning-stripe lining:


I showed it to my husband, because I wanted him to see what I had made with the sewing machine he gave me, and he said (in a completely shocked voice, and look of surprise), "Hey, that came out good!" Thanks for that vote of confidence, hon.

17 comments:

melanie said...

I love it!!! And the socks? With the stripe? Freakin' fantastic!

cindy said...

The stripe really adds to the sock design!

I love the bag....Toile fabric is the best.

mamacate said...

I LOVE those stripes! Damn! You might make me knit argyle if you're not careful.

maryse said...

the sock is beautiful and the bag totally rocks.

by the way, the hub wasn't doubting your abilities. he just doesn't know how to sew so to him you just made something using magic.

Kathy said...

I love the stripes. So, so cute!!

JessaLu said...

Very cool sock!

I love that bag! :o)

Cheryl said...

Love those stripes! Awesome modification!

Laurie said...

The sock is bitchin'! Fantastic. The colors are perfect.

Kristen said...

they're GREAT!!! the lines further down on the foot are perfect, and were I the one wearing them they'd make me grin mid-day when I realize they are there. (the bag looks good too!)

Catherine said...

It's a stripey world! Cool socks. I might even be inspired....no. Not intarsia. Great bag, too.

Beth S. said...

LOVE the stripe. That's AWESOME! :-)

elisa said...

Man, the socks and the bag both are terrific. I can't sew a pocket straight to save my life, if that makes you feel any better. :)

mf said...

Great job!! I love them! Didn't take you very long either! Shocking!! Really you did a wonderful job both the sock & bag!

Carole said...

Love the socks and the bag is fabulous - especially the toile!

Kristen said...

I can't seem to find your email, but yes, I am currently in York, PA. (I had no idea you were from here!)

I'm at York Hospital - a place that is in the middle of a major parking re-vamp; it means that I'm parked over at Queensgate shopping center and have to take a shuttle over to my car if/when I want to either a: get something (being as it's full to the gills with my stuff) or b: go somewhere. I'm staying in a building directly attatched to the hospital and the view out my window is of the ER/heliport - makes for interesting people watching!

anything you reccomend I do? anything you need from here? :)

claudia said...

Boys.

Jscothammerquist said...

Fabulous !
Now rhat's what I' talkin' 'bout.
Rocking those old style argyles and making them totally you own !