Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Patron Insect of Knitters

You know how so many of us love dragonflies? Have dragonfly jewelry, fabric, tattoos? Well, it turns out the dragonflies love knitters right back. Last weekend, as I was knitting on the patio, a dragonfly perched right on my thigh and watched me knit for about two minutes. I didn't think anything of it until this morning, when another dragonfly (not that I can tell, really, it's not like I tag them) sat right on my baggie o'yarn while I knit and stared at me like he was mesmerized. Maybe the knitting motion hypnotizes them?


Nothing could make this little guy budge. When I pulled more yarn out of the bag, he just did a little logrolling and stayed put. Who knew knitting was so fascinating?




Until a big breeze came by and swept him up. That's when he flew over to my calf.
dragonfly on calf 2
At that point, I was like, dude, I have to go to work. I can't be entertaining dragonflies all day. It doesn't pay well and it's hard to explain on your taxes.

I wasn't going to walk into the house wearing a dragonfly (fyi, that is where I draw the line), so I did a little yard-straightening-up. I thought the walking motion would joggle him into flying off, but instead he just hung out on my calf as I walked around the yard, doing a little weeding and watering. I sincerely hope my neighbors didn't see me, because they would just not understand walking around one's yard with a dragonfly on one's leg.
dragonfly on calf1
Finally, I really had to get in the shower and get ready to go. I held a piece of today's newspaper up to the dragonfly, and he walked right onto the Living/Arts section. Then I took the paper over to a shrub and he walked right onto a branch.
dragonfly in shrub
And then he flew away.

The End.

5 comments:

margene said...

May be he was telling you it's time for a dragonfly tattoo.

Cheryl said...

Wow, that little guy really got attached to you! How odd!

Carole said...

How bizarre! I'm with Margene, though. Get a dragonfly tattoo.

Kellee said...

Luckily, you're just minutes away from a very nice tattoo artist....

Juno said...

That was an excellent story. Has he come back?