Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Gift for Me!

Look what I got in the mail:

Lucky me, I won a skein of Vesper sock yarn in Claudia's MS ride drawing! I never win anything in raffles, so I am very excited about this. And is it not the most festive, Parrothead-ish color that will unquestionably lift the winter blahs? (The colorway is named Tropicali, in case you like it too).

And here's the progress on Fina Hyrnan:

Other than a few chart-reading mistakes (I find these charts hard to read--not because they're in Icelandic but because they appear to be sketched out in pencil) and poorly-spun yarn (really, there are spots spun so fine they might just not hold together), it's been smooth sailing. The blue edge is my provisional cast-on.

And then I knit it until the body was almost, almost done, and ripped it all up. Fooled you! It was way too small, and insufficiently lacy. I ripped back to the provisional cast-on, put it on larger needles and started again. This is as far as I've gotten:



It's about twice as big now and each row takes much longer to knit. Which is a good thing. The other good news about this whole experience is that I have discovered that my poorly-spun silk singles are, even at their thinnest points, apparently strong enough to survive repeated rippings. Maybe outrageous overtwist isn't all bad...

5 comments:

claudia said...

Good choice on the sock yarn color. Very Parrotheady

Carole said...

Love the Vesper! Have fun with the shawl. Yeah, fun. That's the word for it.

margene said...

Pretty...can't wait to see more of the shawl.

mf said...

Pretty color vesper! I'm sure you'll enjoy knitting with it! Congrats on winning!

etherknitter said...

*sigh* Hate the frogging part. Now I won't feel so bad about all the back and forth on my Leaf Lace.