Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Thank goodness there's no such thing as a Trojan sheep...

because there is nothing better than friends bearing gifts of yarn.

See, I fell in love with the laceweight that Margene is using for her Icelandic shawl. I emailed her to ask where she had gotten it, and she told me that the Plain and Fancy yarn company didn't have a website and they only went to one wool festival a year, the Estes Park Wool Market.

Hmmm, I thought. Don't I know someone who's going to the Estes Park Wool Market? Someone nearby? A kind and generous person whom I could possibly convince to schlep wool halfway across the continent for me?

It's true what they say, when you need something, you should ask your local librarian. Carole brought me this yarn all the way from Colorado, via Utah!

Probably no one remembers this but me, but after I saw Claudia's Birch last year, I was determined to have a persimmon orange shawl. I really wanted my wedding shawl to be orange, but couldn't find laceweight orange yarn at the time and wisely decided that 3 months before my wedding was not the time to be learning to dye. I am still really happy with that decision, but I still want an orange shawl, someday.

And Carole and Margene just happened to pick me out orange yarn! They're like Psychic Friends bearing gifts of yarn, that's what they are.

Now, what shawl should I knit with it? Decisions, decisions...

8 comments:

Carole said...

I'm so glad you're happy with what we chose. I was worried!

Beth S. said...

Oh, that's GORGEOUS! :-) I have some plain cream-colored laceweight that wants to be dyed exactly that shade. Sigh!

What's the yardage like? That could help you decide on a pattern...

margene said...

With 800 yds you can do just about anything. Fiddlesticks has some nice patterns, as does Utah Grrl, Mimknits. There are SO many choices. Thank goodness you like it...we were both worried.

claudia said...

Mmm. That looks DELICIOUS.

I'd like to make another Flower Basket, this time for myself. Its a good pattern, and I'd recommend it.

Cheryl said...

I think an orange shawl would be absolutely stunning. And that shade of orange is incredible, I can't wait to see this develop!

Laurie said...

Good friends! We take such good care of each other.

DFS. LeafLace.

Manise said...

Love the color- wish I could wear orange. It'll make a lovely shawl.

mf said...

AWESOME Yarn! Can't wait to see what you decide on...I maybe stopping by borders tomorow night! Hopefully I'l see you there