Saturday, May 20, 2006

Behold, the Spring Spinning Begins!


This is why I wanted a fairly portable spinning wheel, so I could spin on the patio. Not that larger wheels are really hard to schlep the ten yards outside, but I'll be trucking this thing out here almost every day, so I'd just as soon it be as light and easy to carry as possible. So far, the Suzie is perfect.




The bag of fiber is the merino/silk blend that Toni packed my wheel in. It's fluffy and lofty and spins like a dream. This picture gives you a fairly good impression of its sort-of-mousy, silvery brown color:

I've completed one bobbin already and am working on the second. On the singles, you can see the white flecks of silk noil a little better.

See the little knob on the top of the flyer assembly? If I'm too lazy to fold my wheel up and use the handle to carry it outside, I can just loop a finger through that knob. Yeah, I know, that's pretty lazy, since all you have to do to fold the Suzie is pretty much just give it a hip-check.

I've been racking my brain to figure out what I can do with the yarn I make from this fiber. I don't expect to have enough for a sweater. I'm guessing I'll have somewhere in the ballpark of 500-600 yards of slightly roughly spun, silk-slubby, worsted weight natural brown/grey wool yarn. Maybe a vest? I don't tend to wear vests (because they don't tend to be flattering) but maybe there's an attractive vest pattern out there? Or maybe a shawl. I'd probably get more wear out of a shawl.

Suggestions are welcome!

11 comments:

elisa said...

I think a shawl sounds like a great idea - maybe you could even add some beads to jazz it up (if you wanted something a little fancy).

Okay - I'm off to do some research on your wheel (must.buy.wheel.). ;)

Carole said...

The shawl gets my vote. It would be so snuggly.

Dave Daniels said...

Wow, your Suzie is adorable. I've been wanting a Majacraft, too. And yours is color-coordinated with everything from the patio furniture to the hose!
How about an Andean-style knitted bag, and you can keep some projects in it?

claudia said...

No vests!

Sorry, my bias is showing.

maryse said...

another wheel type?!!! ARRGGGHHHHHH

i have no idea what you should make -- maybe a wrap. but honestly i don't know.

Catherine said...

That yarn would make a fabulous teddy bear.

mf said...

A shawl sounds great to me!! Looks like some nice fiber sound yummy!

mf said...

oh you know the diagnal bag in One skein would be great too! There some other nice patterns in there as well that'd be perfect

Laurie said...

Vote for the shawl. Lisa Lloyd and Penny Straker has some good vest patterns if you must. I do confess to owning the patterns.

Jay said...

I cannot believe how set up you are out there! What do you do if you need to go to the loo? Do you trust your spinning out there on your own? I'd be worried the neighbours would come along and have a go... that really happened to the mother of a lady at work! Her neighbour kept coming along and knitting a few rows whenever she left her knitting unattended on the porch, and for years she could not figure out why her knitting would go wonky now and then!

Monica said...

Spinning outdoors, sounds great. We've got too many mosquitos to do that but I'm hoping the Mosquito Magnet takes care of that this year.

I vote for a shawl, too.