Monday, April 03, 2006

Fish, Scales, Wheels, Yarns and Plants

Thank you all for your kind words for Cammy! She is feeling much, much better and healing up nicely. She is glad to be able to spend the day at home now, and I have to admit I'm kind of relieved to have her out of the office. My office is about the size of the average home's full bathroom, and it's just too small a space to keep a large dog.

Here's an update on the fish blanket:

The bottom row hasn't been sewn to the rest of the blanket yet, but you can see how it's turning out in general. There are two rows of fish left to sew up and attach after that bottom row is attached. And then I'll crochet a similar border on the straight sides of the blanket (but, I think, not on the wavy sides--that's just asking for puckered fishies). Here's to hoping the mother for whose twins it is intended is back on her feet soon!

Suzie is finally put together. I had to borrow tools because ours weren't up to the task. Those New Zealanders are stingy with their screw holes. Here she is, bags packed and ready to go:

Don't you just love the handle?

And here she is, at attention and ready to spin:

I have tried spinning on her a few times, but it's almost like learning to spin all over again, she's so different from Odette. It will take me a while to get the hang of it.

On Odette, I've plied, washed and dried two skeins of the Cranberry Relish yarn. It turned out a deep rose color with some traces of gold--albeit fewer than in the unspun fiber.

I bought a cheap postal scale for the dyeing I will eventually do, but in the meantime I've found other uses for it. I weighed the three bobbins of Cranberry Relish on it to see if I had approximately the same amount of singles on each before I plied them up. It is also genius in the kitchen. I use it so often I can't imagine how I got along without one for so long.



Here's the triple-plied Cranberry Relish next to a ball of Knit Picks sock yarn. I do believe I've created sock yarn, people!

Which made me so happy that in a rare burst of optimism, I planted the spring seeds: peas, lettuce, spinach, and radishes. Here's the pea bed, with its homemade trellises I inherited from a Florida-bound friend:

We do have some plants coming up for the spring. Here's the expensive trillium that I bought at Garden in the Woods. I am especially happy to see it come back since the squirrels ate its $30 friend, a double white bloodroot. I kept the bloodroot's roots potted up in hopes something will come back, but this is the second year and if nothing comes up this year I think I have to give up hope.

When you buy a plant at Garden in the Woods, they are careful to explain that the plants are so expensive because it takes years (almost decades) to propagate them. I will probably be in my dotage by the time this trillium blooms, if it ever does, but if it does, it should look like this.

5 comments:

Carole said...

I love trillium. Seeing that in the woods every Spring gives me such a thrill! (yeah, I know, I'm a dork)
And your yarn is amazing. Have a blast with the new wheel.

Beth S. said...

Lots of exciting stuff today! Your wheel is really cute. And you made three-ply sock yarn??? Wow! Those must be fine, fine singles. Very cool!

Maybe when I am done destroying my backyard, I can hit you up for suggestions about what to replace all the nasty vines with. :-)

Laurie said...

Beautiful trillium! I love Garden in the Woods. They have great plants, good education, and are doing a wonderful job of preservation.

The wheel looks wonderful. Ask Juno about tricks and tips for spinning with it..I think it is the same as hers.

Snowflake said...

I love your fish afghan. I am about 70% done, but my fishes doesn't lie as straight as yours! How did you managed to do that? By the way, do you do teh fishes in rows or individually?

Dave Daniels said...

Loving your Suzy, I've been wanting to get a Majacraft for a while now, but can't decide. Did you get the jumbo whorl? That's what I'm looking for, for some BIG plying fun.