Friday, April 28, 2006

Busy Season Has Officially Started

I have a quick breather at work so I thought I'd post something. I don't have much to report, as I've had little time to knit. Work's been crazy, and garden club will be busy through mid-May. I had to miss all the Yarn Harlot festivities last weekend because of work, and I'll have to miss the CT and NH Sheep and Wools due to garden club obligations--although my wallet will be happier for that.

I did get to spin with Carole and Blogless Sharon and their guild friends this past Monday evening. They convinced me to start spinning up the fiber that Toni at The Fold packed my wheel in for shipping, and they were right to do so. It is a luscious wool/silk blend in a soft brown/grey (almost mousy) color that is spinning up quickly and easily. I'm guessing I might end up with about 600 yards of dk-ish weight and am trying to think of things to make with it. Maybe a vest?

The yellow sort-of-feather-and-fan socks are stalled midway. First sock is done, second sock begun. The hubby's sweater has not progressed past the sleeves' elbow area (and I started with the sleeves, not the back). He won't be needing it until next winter, anyway, so it's on the back burner.

The fishie blanket has one more row of fishies to be sewn together, then sewn to the blanket. That's about three evenings of work, plus a fourth to crochet two edgings. I'm hoping to finish next week, provided all's quiet.

Besides sewing up the blanket, this weekend I plan to sow seeds for cosmos and Shirley poppies (both annuals), and dig up the existing fire-engine red poppy, the raspberry bee balm and a struggling crabapple to sell at my garden club's plant sale. The vegetable garden is already growing lettuce, shelling pea, radish and spinach seedlings. Last weekend, I planted sweet pea seedlings in the flower bed where I plant the poisonous flowers like foxglove (digitalis) and flowering tobacco (nicotiana). (Unlike shelling peas, the decorative floral sweet pea is toxic).

I can hardly bear my spring fever.

7 comments:

margene said...

Spring Fever has bitten us all! The garden is a great place to be.

Kat said...

Fresh air and sunshine in the garden? I could handle that kind of busy. Don't worry, there are plenty of other fiber festivals coming up. I heard there is a good one in a little place called Rhinebeck.

Carole said...

Your garden plans sound so good! The other night was wicked fun.

Kathy said...

Let me know if you are taking a trip up to Garden in the Woods -- could do a little meet-up!

Beth S. said...

I love those poppies. And bee balm--are you sure you want to get rid of it? :-)

Laurie said...

I'm out there weeding. What used to be a bad dream is now glorious days out in the dirt, recreating order and happiness. I'm spreading compost, and all is well with the green things.

mf said...

Sorry I missed you all Monday night! Toni does have some nice fibers....I'm sure you'll enjoy spinning them!