Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Weekends are for Spinning

Odette and I have been getting to know one another. For instance, I've found we have something in common: we both like to be pampered. Odette likes the occasional spa day and oddly enough, hers involves massage oil, too! Her 3-in-1 doesn't smell as good as my coconuty oil does, though.

Also, she needs chiropractic adjustments. I discovered this while trying to get her to spin on the small whorl. I've tried it several times since Melanie so graciously lent her to me, and whenever I'd put the drive belt on the small whorl, treadling would become impossible, even with two feet. I tried loosening the drive belt's tension and loosening the brake's tension, both to no effect.

But then I noticed that one of the maidens was askew. I straightened it out, gave the bobbin and flyer a bit of oil, and suddenly she whirred away. Since then, I've noticed it helps a lot to put a dab of oil in the bobbin each time I change bobbins.


color is remarkably accurate; pink shot through with gold. It reminds me of sari silk.

Which is good, because the fiber I'm spinning--something called Cranberry Relish that I picked up at Spa--wants to be spun fine. And I have a ton of it, so I'm going to try triple-plying this time.



The reason I have a ton of it was because it was beautiful and quite affordable. I discovered once I started spinning why it was affordable. It has quite a bit of vegetable matter in it, and what are they called? neps? nops?, those too. And in places it is dirty. Like, ewwww, wash your hands after spinning dirty. But it is a lovely color and I have high hopes for it after it is plied and washed.

I've been pulling out the vegetable matter as I spin, but ignoring the neps? nops? (wasn't that a character in Watership Down?) and sort of spinning through them. So the final product will not be flawlessly smooth. But I would not expect anything I spun to be flawlessly smooth anyway, so I can live with that.

I've got three bobbins full, so tonight I'll start triple-plying. Keep your fingers crossed! I haven't exactly mastered double-plying so this does seem foolhardy, but it's rare that I have enough fiber to be able to do it.

In other news, Cammy has been feeling a little under the weather, so she's been coming to work with me on vet's orders, so I can keep an eye on her. Here she is, working girl:

And now that the babies are here, I figured Melanie would want her wheel back soon, so, after much consultation with the generous and wise Juno, I ordered a Majacraft Suzie Pro from The Fold (in case you're shopping, they're on sale until April 15th). It should be here by the end of the week. Huge thanks to Juno for sparing so much of her time to help me; I really appreciate it!

12 comments:

maryse said...

poor puppy.

your new wheel is pretty. although something tells me that mel won't be spinning anytime soon.

margene said...

Hope Cammy feels better soon. I swear spinners have an objective to take over the knitting blogs!

Jackie said...

Oooh - a new wheel for you! Very exciting. :)

That fiber is lovely, and I love the comparison to sari silk... the fabrics in saris are often so jaw-droppingly gorgeous, I love them love them love them.

Kat said...

Hope Cammy feels better soon. Although I would love it (and so would the pup) if I had Vet's orders to bring her to work with me.

You're third paragraph reminds me of a Monty Python sketch. Part of the Spanish Inquisition bit where something "has gone out of skew on the treddle" down at the mill.

claudia said...

She's getting her own wheel.

sniff.

My little girl is growing up!

;-)

Carole said...

I'm sorry Cammy isn't well but it must be fun to take her to work. Can't wait to hear all about your new wheel. And I'm guessing Melanie's hands are a bit full for spinning just yet.

Juno said...

Oooh, you went for it. I'm so pleased you'd think it was me getting it.

Accessories? Did you try all the others? Did you like the Rose? Huh? Huh?

mf said...

neat color roving.. probably full of nebs....You know it's alot eaiser to triple ply from one bobbin to one bobbin and you won't have any leftover it'll all get plied nicely.. It's called navjo plying.. I can show you sometime.. I use sweet orange oil to massage my wheels it smells so much better.....

Kathy said...

Hope Cammy is feeling better. Congratulations on your wheel -- exciting!!

Catherine said...

Yay for dog-friendly offices! Hope Cammy feels better. I think you'll be happy with the Suzie Pro - very practical and versatile wheel. I have a Rose, and I love it.

Laurie said...

OOops. Just got here to this post. Never mind about asking Juno. :)

JessaLu said...

I hope Cammy feels better soon...

Glad to hear you're getting along with Odette and can't wait to see your three-ply ;o) OH and a Majacraft! How cool is that?!