Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Promised Picture Post

Sewing the fishies was a dilemma. As I mentioned yesterday, I had to overlap the fish slightly at their heads and tails to get them to sew up flat with no buckling. [Note: this is likely my fault, rather than the pattern's, as I didn't follow the pattern exactly.]





I wanted the seaming to be invisible, so I decided to sew with a needle and thread instead of yarn, because it would be easier to create an invisible stitch with thread, especially where the fish overlapped. For the overlapped parts, I used a basic running stitch. For the non-overlapped parts, the parts that lay neatly next to each other, I used a horizontal made-up stitch:



At that point, Americ*n Id*l was on three nights a week, so I managed to watch enough TV to sew up two rows of fish.



Then I tried sewing the two rows up, only to experience horror. Oh, the buckling! The buckling! As I mentioned yesterday, the two rows did not line up anything close to well enough. I realized some sort of buffer would be necessary and I started crocheting.

Sorry, Blogger is having photo issues this afternoon and refuses to load this picture right-side-up

I was going to put a crocheted border on each side of each row of fish, hence creating an approx. 2" wide buffer zone between rows. But as I went to sew up my two crocheted borders last night, I realized that the second row of fish was upside down. I had crocheted the wrong side of the fish. Well, not really wrong (I'd have to crochet that side eventually, anyway), but wrong if I wanted to sew last night.

And I did want to sew last night, and Dinah wanted to help:

See the disdain in her eyes?

So I decided to give it a go with only one crocheted border between the rows. I haven't gotten far (Americ*n Id*l was only a half-hour long last night) but so far I think it just might work.




8 comments:

grumperina said...

I'm happy to hear that you're finding solutions for seaming the fishies. Because the blanket IS really cute, so it's good to make it work!

margene said...

You've made good work of it! Way to show the knitting who is boss. The blanket will be darling.

maryse said...

look at all of those smiling fish.

you go girl with the crochet.

Laurie said...

That was a thoroughly brilliant solution. I would have just pouted and made rude remarks about pattern design. Yeah, despite not following the pattern. It's going to look good!

Carole said...

I think it's cool - and creative to come up with options for finishing.

claudia said...

You've kicked its ass.

mf said...

You did an AWESOME job!! I'm still working on poor lonely fishy....You know that making the fish wihtout the eyes & mouths coud be an option too. I've seen some doen this way. It's looking really good so far!

Kristen said...

I love the fish. Really, really, really love those fish. (If I thought I'd stick with it I'd whip up a bunch and make myself a blanket out of them, but the chances of follow-through a slim to none right now...)

I hope you have a great weekend and your pup is feeling better soon!

(a wheel is a bit further away in my future but I'm looking foward to hearing about what you think of the SuziePro! I hope it's here soon!)