Friday, February 24, 2006

Swimmin' with the Fishies

Here are all my fishies, all spread out on the dining room table:

The end is in sight! I have six more to knit, plus a few that need to be re-knit for sizing purposes. Then they all need to be pressed, have their ends sewn in, and be sewn together. I do suspect they'll buckle some--they don't lie flat on their own, why would they sewn together?

I have to admit I have begun to tire of the fishies. It took a shockingly long time. I think it took so long to grow old because they are on big needles (excellent for resting hands), and it's an easily memorized, mindless pattern. But the mindless part is the part I'm tired of. I'm jonesing for something I have to pay attention to, like a lace shawl. I've been ogling other knitter's shawls, Googling "lace shawl pattern," and pricing KnitPicks alpaca. Shhh, don't tell the fishies.

But wait, it gets worse. I've done more than just lust in my mind. I cheated on the fishies by knitting a sock. See, Maggie gave me this Regia sock yarn, and I couldn't knit the fishies at SnB, 'cause Melanie was there (and it was still a surprise), so I started the sock. And then once I started, well, I had to finish. And sure, you can rationalize all that, but where it really gets to the assignation-at-the-cheap-motel-on-Route-1 point is that after I finished the first sock...



I started the second one.

Okay, okay, okay, I know it was wrong. But can I just point out two things? I tried two techniques new-to-me ('cause I've knit relatively few socks): Claudia's picot trim (since Maggie raved about it, and she gave me this yarn, I thought I ought) and the short-row heel. So at least it was an educational affair, like sleeping with your professor. Or something.

While the blanket won't be done by the end of the Olympics, and probably not even before the twins are born, it won't be too much longer. I have an ETA of mid-March--unless I keep knitting fishies until there's no cotton yarn left in my house. I'm pretty sure I've decided not to do that, but there's still a small possibility. I am, after all, in the winter of my destashment.

8 comments:

maryse said...

aww the fishies. can i make a confession? i've been working on a needlepoint and i made a pair of socks while working on the 1000 skank scarf.

and if i hadn't made the socks, etc. i still wouldn't be done with the scarf.

Laurie said...

The fishies are looking good. Anything blanketlike is a huge time and yarn sink, as I'm finding from my afg**. You wouldn't think it, but it is just like lace...knitknitknit....no progress...knit more and more...still no progress...

Jackie said...

"educational affair, like sleeping with your professor"

That was awesome.

And to get through knitting many many fishes and then sewing them all together? I think you need to have an affair, just to keep your sanity. But it's going to be the cutest blanket ever. :)

margene said...

The fishes! OMG look at all the fishes! Fabulous.

Kristen said...

I've said it before (and will, um, probably say it again...) but I love the fishes. Love them. I've been trying to figure out a way to knit them up in a way that doesn't require all of the seaming, but so far, no luck.

As for the sock - it's lovely. Hard to tell it was the first short-row heel! (I tried the picot edge because Maggie reccomended it too, and now it's my favorite way to start a sock.)

melanie said...

A Noble Effort Indeed, the fishies. It is not un-appreciated, by any stretch. You're awesome.

Cassie said...

I have to admit - I didn't really get the fishies concept until just now. They're really cute. However, I think you were justified in starting a sock - or two. Sometimes the mind needs a change of pace.

claudia said...

Fishies and picot hems in one post? Fabulous.