Monday, January 09, 2006

Week End Update

Interesting things that happened last week:
Tuesday: all our annoying whiny customers called. Snow threats--no matter how improbable snow actually is--appear to trigger the loonies. Good to know!
Wednesday: In book group, I learned that Tom Stoppard co-wrote the movie Brazil (probably interesting only to Monty Python fans);
Thursday: My boss and his kids found 6" wide scallop shells on the beach. Those are scallops you don't want to piss off.
Friday: I plied up the half-felted, orange and brown roving I have tormented myself spinning into the crappiest of crap yarn. While it looks a lovely bronze under low light, it becomes a cloying mauvey pink under bright light. I hate to throw the roving out because it was expensive, but like the Seinfeld episode where Jerry's girlfriend is a "two-face," in the wrong light, it's a killer. And it's half-felted.





I don't think you can see the horrific pink in these photos; you'll have to take my word for it. Ms. Melanie can vouch for it, too.


Saturday: During our walk in the woods, the dog and I startled a great blue heron on the banks of the creek. It flew slowly, like a pterodactyl, up to roost in a pine tree.
Sunday: Snow flurries in the morning, ice skating in the afternoon.
--------------------------------

Grammar is tough to report on, so I'll skip that one. But I'm pretty sure I said "ain't" or "nothin'" at some point during the week.

--------------------------------

Creative efforts put forth this week: Worked on a new garden design (I decided this counts, because I am completely overhauling the perennial bed and trying to bring in more compatible colors) and carved a linoleum block tree print:













I know the lino cut is simple and basic, but I am a baby beginner and these are the first wood or lino cut prints I've managed to make that actually came out and looked like something (thick paint laid directly on the lino seems to make the difference). So I am inordinately pleased with them.


I also made myself a fabric wrist distaff. I do understand that they are supposed to be made out of wool, but fabric seemed like the quickest and easiest way to go. I thought about using the half-felted roving, but I guess I am still holding out hope that a miracle will happen. It took a little tinkering and a little getting used to (at first it was distracting), but now I like my new distaff.




In knitting news, I am up to the heel of my first Jaywalker. I can report that the Jaywalker pattern makes even boring sock yarn look more interesting. Yay, Grumperina!

3 comments:

maryse said...

excellent post. i like your interesting things happened list and your creative projects.

margene said...

Love the sock! Brazil is one of my all time favorite movies. You need to watch it twice.

Laurie said...

The sock is great. As are GBHs (great blue herons).