Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Less is More

You see, Rogue is finished, and so are the Estonian mittens (and I promise pictures, as soon as my husband and I are in the same place during the day), so I cast on for the hubby's gloves, a merger of two different Estonian patterns. And I thought to myself, the pattern calls for five dpns, and I have the fifth, why don't I try it? I lasted two rows before switching back to four. There were just too many freaking needles. Needles everywhere, needles poking into my clothes, needles flying into space...and the whole thing feels tighter and better-engineered as a triangle, not a square.

I'm all for the diversity, but I can't get behind this newfangled five-needle nonsense. I'm guessing it came from another culture (and isn't "newfangled" at all), and once the needle companies heard about it, they figured they'd throw in the fifth, just in case. Back when I was growing up, when you bought dpns, you only got four, so that's all I ever learned on. I gave five a try, and I just can't stomach them all. Sort of like chicken vindaloo. Too many needles, too many hot spices.

Is there an advantage to using five dpns that would make it worth my while to learn to use them? Or is it just whatever you're used to?

7 comments:

maryse said...

i learned to knit on dpns when you got 4 to a pack. but i've embraced the 5. although when i have very few stitches -- i've been known to only use 3 or even two. shhh don't tell anyone one.

margene said...

I use 5 but nothing says you have to. Do what is comfortable.

melanie said...

I like the triangle myself. I learned using 5, which is too many to learn on.

claudia said...

Its whatever you are used to. I LOVE five needles. The more pointy bits the better!

Laurie said...

I learned with four. I agree about the fifth needle. Just seems like too much hanging around. As long as you keep the geometry and round number straight, it doesn't seem to matter.

Sibylle said...

Over here in Germany yoou always use five needles. Thats the way I learned it from my Grandma. Dont know why it is otherwise in your place. I get mad when only using 4 needles, to narrow and I dont like the triangle :)
Merry Christmas

Jackie said...

Hmmm - I use both depending on the project. I use 5 for Jaywalkers, the pattern just works better that way.

I use 4 for worsted weight mittens, but using 5 isn't as cumbersome if you have the shorter cloverleaf ones that are only about 5 or 6 inches long...