Thursday, December 08, 2005

In the meantime...

Rogue awaits its zipper, the Turkish socks are on indefinite hold, the Dale is having its sleeves sewn in, and the Aran pocket shawl is my at-home knitting. Please allow me to introduce you to my new Take-Your-Knit-To-Work candidate, the Estonian mitten.

(Sorry for the crappy cell phone camera shot; the SIL still has my camera.)

The pattern is Aino's Glove (the first pattern in the book), but I am not a glove wearer, so I am converting it to a mitten.

It uses Roositud inlay, which I have never used before. When I started the mitten I did the inlay incorrectly (didn't bring the book to work with me) and stranded the inlay across the back instead of looping it over the needle to bring it back to the front. You can definitely tell the difference between the correct stitches and the incorrect stitches: the stitches at the bottom, the stranded ones, are loopy and looser than the new, correct stitches at the top. Turns out all that stranding makes it harder to get a snug wrap.

I like the Roositud technique. It's not any easier than knitting the colors, but the unbroken block of color makes the pattern bolder. I suspect Roositud does best for a small pattern on a larger field of background color; where a knitted pattern might be delicate and lost, the Roositud stands up and shouts.

I am knitting it while reading Ethan Frome, creating a Trifecta of chill: mitten pattern from cold land, frosty snowy weather, and cold sad tale. I love it when your book perfectly coincides with whatever-else-you're-doing-while-you-read-it. It just amplifies the book's atmosphere. My previous favorite accidental combination was Jeannette Winterson's The Passion with the Cocteau Twins' The Pink Opaque. Passionate, slightly surreal music combined with a slightly surreal book about passion (both book and music are excellent, by the way).

P.S. Lest you all think I have given up on my stash-busting ways, the mitten's green is leftover from Rogue and the red and a (small) bit of the white are remnants of the Dale. I did have to supplement the white, though.

3 comments:

mf said...

It's very nice! Can't wait to see that rogue of yours too!

margene said...

Last month (or maybe the month before) I did a mitten with Roositud that I learned from Nancy a few years ago. It's a fun technique but takes a little practice. Your mitten looks wonderful!

Bookish Wendy said...

I absolutely love it when things combine that way. I find it happens most often with books and life. I'm not sure if the book is leading the life or the life is leading the book!