Friday, November 18, 2005

Slow progress

I had hoped to be able to show you a finished object photo by now, but alas, I've actually been called upon to work while at work (shocking, I know) so sock progress has been slow. I'm about 1" into the heel flap:

You can see in the picture how, once I stopped charting every single row (because it was muy tedious) and winged it, the sides got a little muddled. Perhaps it would have been best had I left the sides alone in the first place, and just had a front pattern and a back pattern (there aren't enough stitches for two side repeats).

You can also see the side shaping, which does fit over my foot, so far.

This fall is the first time I can remember in my entire life that I have juggled more than one knitting project. All my life, I've been a one-at-a-time person. Even at dinner, I eat my potatoes, then my vegetable, then my meat. I don't take a bite of this, a bite of that. I am capable of juggling--I know that from work--I just prefer not to. But so many of my knitting brethren out there have multiple projects going I thought, why not me too? Why not a shawl and socks and a sweater? Why tie myself down?

Why? Because if I tie myself down, the damn thing gets finished. That's why.

I've discovered during this fickle fall that if I let myself go astray, there's a good possibility I might not go back. Rogue is getting finished, just v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, and that shawl I started a couple of weeks ago has had no progress since I began this sock. And what I haven't mentioned in the blog is that there's another pair of socks, a simple self-striping pair, destined for a friend in Pennsylvania, if I ever finish them (one's done, one's on needles). Plus all the wool waiting for the spindle, and the singles on the spindle waiting to be plied. I guess my point is, there's only so much time in the day, know what I mean? And there's so much I want to do that maybe I have to parcel it out, one project at a time.

Oh, and can I tell you? This Turkish sock is taking a hella long time to knit. I think all the color changing slows you down. No, I'm serious, it really does. Stop laughing. And even worse, I want to put it down to knit nice, warm mittens--which realistically, I need a lot more than socks right now. But you know I'll never pick it back up if I do!

4 comments:

claudia said...

You might have to lock some of those projects away in a version of a knitting chastity belt.

Maggie said...

Love the colors and it looks great! Sorry I haven't been to SnB the last few weeks...hard to get out of bed...maybe next week. :)

Laurie said...

Those are great socks! I hear you on the mittens...need 'em for reading blogs in my house!

I limit my projects too. Same reason. No gratification if no finish. Not enough hours in said day to make substantial progress on multiple projects. A lady in my knit group said she limits to one of each type: one sweater, one sock, one scarf. Sounds like a good middle ground.

Cassie said...

From one totally overwhelmed knitter with too many projects on the needles:
Tie yourself down.