Friday, November 11, 2005

Lessons From My Sock

Well, I'm ripping already. I do still think the concept will work, but...



1) Instead of knitting 1 or 2 rows and then doing a braid row, I decided to cast on using the Kihnu Troi cast on from Folk Knitting in Estonia. As you can see, that cast on is curling. I think I would be better off with maybe a couple of garter stitch rows and then a braid detail. Plus, the braid would show up better lying flat on the side rather than located at the very top. And if I'm doing a braid, by God I want it to show up.

2) Have I mentioned that I am color-challenged? These three colors looked so nice lying together in the wool bowl. They played very well together. But they don't work so well together. They spit and fight and take up each others' desk space. I know in my heart they don't look that bad, that in fact they don't really fight, but the mustard (which looked so gold in the wool bowl) and the green (leftover from Rogue) are bumming me out. The red can stay. Maybe the mustard can stay too, in a lesser role. You know, the red's the boss, another color (white? purple?) is the office assistant, the mustard does the filing. Maybe the green's the only problem. I'll have to experiment some more.

Back to the drawing board...

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I'm no color expert, but I think you need to swap the green out for something that has the same color intensity (saturation?) as the red and the mustard/gold. Maybe a darker green? A tip of the needles to ya - colorwork eludes me. If it doesn't all come on the same strand of yarn, it ain't happening here.