Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Misty watercolored memories

This guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, "Doc, uh, my brother's crazy; he thinks he's a chicken." And, uh, the doctor says, "Well, why don't you turn him in?" The guy says, "I would, but I need the eggs." Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs. Woody Allen, "Annie Hall"

Sorry, just sitting here bored at work, reminiscing about an old Woody Allen-loving boyfriend. I used to cry at the end of "Annie Hall," because it is sad. Even now, that quote makes me a little teary-eyed. Don't take this reminiscing as cold feet about marriage; far from it--in fact, I pretty much announced my impending wedding to the entire town Monday night. I had to go before the Board of Selectmen to request a liquor license for the reception, and the room was packed (popular item on the agenda following me). Plus the meetings are televised on local cable, for those who can't make it to Town Hall. There's no backing out after you've told the whole town (not that I would want to back out anyway). I can't for the life of me imagine why I was thinking of "Annie Hall," but I was, and wanted to share that quote. It's okay, you can laugh at me for crying at a funny movie. I understand. I would laugh too, if I were you.

No comments: