Tuesday, August 23, 2005

A Brief Rant from our Sponsor

Have I mentioned how completely and utterly sick I am of knitting shawls? Have I? Because believe me, I am so ready to move on. I am ready to use a needle larger than a size 3. I am ready to knit with yarn that feels like rope, even though it's only worsted. I am ready to just knit. Not "knit 2 tog, tie your needle into a pretzel, yo, stand on your head, ssk, spit in the wind, s 1, knit 2 tog, psso, whistle Dixie with your mouth full." And spin. I am looking forward to spinning.

Speaking of which, I had such a lovely day yesterday (forgot to take pics, though). Went to the Marshfield Fair, saw the cows, sheep, goats, bunnies and chickens. The chickens were the best--there are so many different kinds! And some of them look so goofy, and even look embarrassed, like they know how ridiculous they look. Poor birds. Then I heard an awesome band and took part in the Spinning Bee. Maggie and Michelle were supposed to join us, but unfortunately didn't make it. Hope they're both okay... They missed a good time. There was quite a crowd and we were lucky enough to have a fiddler/mandolin player serenanding us. I did some spinning and knitting (and ripping) on my shawl and looked forward to dinner with the sister-in-law-to-be.

Which pretty much ended the glory of the day. Apparently our wedding plans aren't up to her standards. We need professional flowers, we need very expensive chair covers for our chairs, we need a different JP, DJ, and photographer. The ones we have are simply not up to snuff (because she was not involved in their selection). Somewhere around dessert I snapped and told her we needed to move on and discuss something else, because I was done. I never do that. I am the soul of patience. And, to be fair, it took me 3 hours to snap. But still. I think I was mostly angry that she had taken my lovely, lovely day and crushed it with her negativity.

Not to mention taking over the freakin' wedding so she can model it into something resembling her dream wedding. I know she just wants to help. I know she means well. I also know that brides have to deal with this sort of thing all the time--how? Just say "back the $%^^& off"? 'Cause I have to tell you, her taste is not my taste and I do not want that wedding. I had everything planned and organized and going smoothly (except the bridesmaids have STILL not agreed on a dress!! Must knock their heads together) and now she wants to throw wrenches in the works. I do not deal well with wrenches. I am a planner, not a "one month before the wedding, let's change it all up!" kind of person.

I think I am done ranting now. I'll return you to your usual programming.

P.S. Oh, and I just discovered that an interview I wrote three years ago has been reprinted on the web with neither permission nor compensation in a webzine of frightening political affinity (because of my interview subject, not me). Google your name periodically, people! You never know what will pop up. Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking... (for all you Airplane! fans out there.)

3 comments:

claudia said...

Yeah baby! Kick some wedding ass.

melanie said...

Rant away, and tell your SIL to go get her OWN effin wedding.

maryse said...

oh i'm so sorry about the whole wedding thing. it's supposed to be such a fun happy time and it so rarely is. my in laws were very hands off (as was my mother but that's because she lives in europe) but planning my wedding had to be one of the most stressful times of my life. by all means, rant rant away.