Sunday, July 24, 2005

You spin me round round, baby, round round, like a record, baby

Remember how I said if I could spin dog fur, I was buying a spinning wheel? I was joking...


but not entirely. I can't dismiss any idea that will reduce the tumbleweeds of dog fur in my house. (Yes, I have heard of vacuuming. From what I hear, it is not much fun, and the machines are expensive. And you have to change bags! All that money, and you have to swap parts out every month?)

Yesterday, after a lovely drive with Ms.Melanie, during which we discussed the highs and lows of goth music (I don't know, Melanie, I still think of "Wish" as "The Cure Sell Out," but I'll try it again), we arrived at Claudia's fantabulous fiber party, where my joke became a lot closer to being the truth. Thanks to Spindlerose, Scullery Maid & our lovely and charming hostess, I can now spin lumpy, mishapen yarn on a spindle! Note: please do not think my teachers are responsible for the lumpiness of the "yarn"; that part's all me. They are all very talented spinners.



And thanks to Scullery Maid & Claudia, I now have a CD spindle & roving to practice on.



I met so many knitters and spinners yesterday, I am trying desperately to remember all your names and blogs. Thank you all so much for your help & gifts, from the bottom of my heart. I can't wait to try it all out.

I know I have to practice a little each day so I don't forget. Here is today's effort:

A kind person might call it "slubby." It seems to be going all fine and dandy, smooth and fine, until I get to the plying stage, where it becomes "slubby." Plying is hard (whine).

And a note to all my new spinning friends: I am not buying a wheel. A spindle, sure. I know it's a gateway drug, but I can handle it. Really. It won't become a problem. It won't affect my work or my social life. Especially since I could spin at work, and half my social life is fiber-related! A wheel is not in this year's budget. Maybe next year...

9 comments:

Sandysknitting said...

It's always fun to be sucked in, er....encouraged into new things! :)
It was great meeting you! I will be eagerly watching your wonderful shawls take shape.
Sandy

Laurie said...

yeahyeahyeah, that's what I said, and then the maelstrom sucked me in. I like the singles and plying you are doing. Pretty amazing for the FIRST DAY. (And yes, loved the shawl.)

stephanie said...

That first yarn is the best first yarn I have ever seen. Really.
Did you throw your real first yarn away?

Lee Ann said...

Wow, plying right away!

Suuuuuure you're not going to get a wheel...

I'd love to hear about your experiences with plying using the spindle, because I have yet to do it. I've just now got some singles that are worth trying it out, though...

And no, nobody can handle it. Nobody. You are getting sheeeeepyyyyy....

mamacate said...

I think your yarn is beautiful.

And I just need to tell you that it is not wise to publicly say things like "I am never going to buy a wheel." You know, just saying.

It was great to meet you and watch the enabling of a new spinner. And your shawls are lovely!

claudia said...

That CD spindle is no longer sad and neglected. It's happy with you. I can tell.

;-)

Rosemary said...

Heh heh heh. Let me know when you're ready to borrow a wheel for a few weeks.

mf said...

Plying is the fun part!!!!! I bet you'll be searching for a wheel soon!1 LOL

Rachael said...

You're SO going to buy a wheel. ;)