Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Travails of Dinah

Well, poor Dinah is back at the vet today to have her mouth and throat checked. Since she bites they have to put her under anesthesia to get her to open her mouth. Now see, if she were a nice cat, all this would be unnecessary. But because she is far, far from docile, it is costing me big bucks to determine why she is not eating. Not that I'm bitter.

I have to remind myself that Dinah does have her good points:

--If you sing "I've Been Working on the Railroad," only you change the lyrics to "Dinah, dinah dinah dinah...," 60% of the time she will come running up to you, mewing.

--She chases the dog around the house, but the dog is so dumb she thinks Dinah is playing. So it's kind of a win-win. The dog gets a playmate, the cat gets to beat the dog up.

--She talks incessantly. She understands English better than I speak cat, so our conversations are usually bilingual: "Hi Dinah, how was your day?" "Mew." "Sorry to hear you were bored. No birds out the window?" "Mew, mew mew. Purroww."

--She is an excellent, undeterrable alarm cat. And she's snuggly in bed, as long as you don't disturb her.

Scant progress on the shawl lately. I had to fly to Pittsburgh for my cousin Parker's memorial service this weekend, and I didn't dare take it with me for fear the needles would be confiscated--and with them, the shawl itself. I am casting off but am concerned that Michelle may be right: it might not be as wide as I would like it to be. But it is so long that I felt I had to stop. I am hoping that the magic blocking process will increase its size, sort of like the products offered in all those spam emails we all get! If not, it's okay--after all, we all know that size doesn't matter.

P.S. (10 minutes later) Just talked to the vet--they found NOTHING. In one week, I will probably have spent $400 on this cat and she's probably not eating just to spite me.

1 comment:

mf said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your shawl blocked, I didn't block the one I made my mil before I sent it off!! opps! I bet the kitty is just not eating as much becuase it's summer time!!! ;o) I'll bill ya later....;o)))