Thursday, June 16, 2005

Not a Lace Knitter


As my knitting buddies know, I'm knitting a lace shawl. It's my first shawl, and it's been an ordeal. It won't be my last shawl (due to previous commitments), but when I'm done this batch of shawls, it'll be a long, long time before I'll sign up to knit lace again. Why, you ask?

1) it's so darn boring. There's nothing to look forward to, except finishing. If you're knitting a sweater, in most cases the pattern changes at some point, either in color or texture. And as you knit, you can think to yourself, "oh, I can't wait to get to that part!" Sometimes I even knit faster just to get to the interesting stuff sooner. Lace is the same n pattern rows (in this case, 4), over and over, until finally, with much joy, you end it.

2) it's so painstaking. The yarn is literally like thread. It's so hard to get the needle in that after 8 rows, my hands hurt.

3) it takes 2 hours to knit 8 rows. 8 rows! 2 hours!

4) it requires total focus. No chatting, no TV, no reading. Take your eyes away from that yarn-over and you'll have a mess on your hands.

5) Unraveling it, when you inevitably make a mistake, is easy. Putting the remainder back on the needles without losing stitches is almost impossible.

Every day, as I leave the house to go to work, I find myself wistfully eyeing my new self-striping sock yarn. At least with that, I'd have stripes to look forward to.

Not to be a Pollyanna or anything, but all lace negativity aside, my shawl is gorgeous and every day I'm amazed I'm making something so delicate. So I'm glad I'm knitting it, if only for that reason.

Can you see the row where I knit really, really tight? Sure hope I can block that out! 'Cause I'm not ripping.

1 comment:

mf said...

now think positive the rewards! Appreciation, love and could become a heiloom piece. It's ABSLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!